People use Twitter for a variety of reasons. One of the most important, it turns out, is using Twitter for news. Twitter has become home to some of the most relevant conversations about news and current events happening around the world, whether it’s politics, world & local news, entertainment, sports, technology, or health & wellness.
What is the significance of this information? For starters, it allows Twitter to better understand how to serve people’s interests. Second, it emphasizes the significance of their work to combat misinformation, provide useful context to Tweets, and keep people better informed about the news they consume on Twitter. Twitter compiled learnings from studies conducted in association with YouGov and Sparkler, as well as internal Twitter data and third-party research from organizations such as YouGov and Pew Research.
Twitter users frequently interact with news
Twitter users are voracious news consumers. Many of them are politically and socially engaged, and they frequently tweet about it.
- 94% of Twitter users are interested in current events.
- 85% of Twitter users watch, read, or listen to the news at least once per day.
- 83% of Twitter users tweet about current events.
- Three out of every four people who use Twitter for news do so at least once per day.
- Twitter is where 55% of people get their news, more than any other social media platform.
- 75% of those who use Twitter for news follow news about politics and current events.
In the first 6.5 months of 2022, there were 4.6 billion Tweets about news in the United States (#1) and 10.4 billion Tweets about news worldwide (#2).
Twitter connects people to news organizations and journalists
- “Twitter helps me find new news outlets to follow,” say 62% of Twitter news consumers.
- In the last year, 60% of Twitter users have followed an account related to US national news.
- 55% of Twitter users say they have followed a local news account in the last year.
- In the last year, 50% of Twitter users have followed an account related to international news.
- In the last year, 50% of Twitter users have followed a journalist on social media.
- 83% of young journalists (ages 18-29) say Twitter is their primary or secondary social media platform for their job.
From the above statistics, it’s pretty obvious that a lot of people worldwide rely on Twitter as a valid news source on a daily basis. Twitter facilitates the discovery of news outlets and journalists, in addition to assisting people in learning about and sharing current events. People follow news-related Twitter accounts on a regular basis, and more than 80% of young journalists rely on Twitter for their jobs.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?