In 2017, YouTube made its entry into the crowded streaming service market by launching YouTube TV. This platform provided users with a convenient way to watch TV online, whether they were at home or on the go. However, over the past five years, the subscription price for YouTube TV has seen a significant increase. What once cost $35 per month now requires consumers to pay $65 per month. Despite the price hike, YouTube TV offers flexibility in terms of device compatibility, allowing users to enjoy their favorite shows and movies on a wide range of devices, including smart TVs, phones, tablets, computers, and streaming devices. Additionally, YouTube TV allows you to share your membership with up to five other family members or friends, enhancing the value of the subscription. If you are considering canceling your YouTube TV subscription, we have prepared a step-by-step guide on How to Cancel YouTube TV to assist you. It’s important to keep in mind that your subscription will remain active until the end of the current payment period, even after cancellation. However, if you are canceling a free trial, please note that you will lose access to the service immediately following the cancellation.
Why Might You Need to Cancel Your How to Cancel YouTube TV Subscription?
There are several reasons why you might consider canceling your YouTube TV subscription:
- Cost: YouTube TV is a subscription-based service, and the monthly fee may not align with your budget or viewing habits. If you find that you’re not utilizing the service enough to justify the cost, canceling can help you save money.
- Channel Selection: YouTube TV offers a variety of channels, but the specific channels included in the package may not align with your preferences or interests. If you find that you’re not regularly watching the channels provided or if there are specific channels you desire that are not available, canceling the subscription may be a viable option.
- Alternative Viewing Options: The streaming landscape is continually evolving, and there are numerous alternative streaming services available. You might find that another streaming platform better suits your needs in terms of content offerings, pricing, or additional features. Canceling YouTube TV allows you to explore and switch to a different service that aligns more closely with your preferences.
- Changing Viewing Habits: Your viewing habits may have shifted since you first subscribed to YouTube TV. If you find that you’re no longer watching live TV or prefer on-demand content from services like Netflix or Hulu, canceling YouTube TV can free up resources and provide more flexibility in choosing the streaming services that best suit your needs.
- Limited Usage or Value: If you find that you’re not using YouTube TV frequently or that the service doesn’t provide the value you expected, canceling the subscription can help you avoid paying for a service that isn’t meeting your needs or delivering the desired benefits.
Ultimately, the decision to cancel your YouTube TV subscription depends on your individual circumstances, preferences, and priorities. It’s important to evaluate your streaming habits, compare available options, and determine if the service aligns with your current needs and budget.
Important Considerations Before Canceling Your YouTube TV Subscription
Before canceling your YouTube TV subscription, there are a few important things you should know:
- Cancellation Policies: Familiarize yourself with the cancellation policies of YouTube TV. Understand any potential fees, refund eligibility, and the terms and conditions associated with canceling your subscription.
- Billing Cycle: Take note of your billing cycle for YouTube TV. Cancelling in the middle of a billing period may not result in a pro-rated refund. Determine the ideal time to cancel to optimize your subscription’s value.
- Access to Content: Understand that canceling your YouTube TV subscription means losing access to all the content and features provided by the service. Make sure you have alternative options for watching your favorite shows or live TV before proceeding with cancellation.
- Account and Profile: Consider the impact canceling your subscription may have on your YouTube TV account and profile. Certain personalized settings, preferences, and recommendations associated with your account may be lost upon cancellation.
- Recorded Content: If you have recorded content on YouTube TV, be aware that it will no longer be accessible once you cancel your subscription. Download or save any important recordings before canceling if you wish to keep them for future use.
- Third-Party Subscriptions: If you subscribed to YouTube TV through a third-party platform or app (such as Apple App Store, Roku, or Amazon Fire TV), understand the specific cancellation process for that platform. Ensure you follow the appropriate steps to cancel your subscription correctly.
- Customer Support: If you have any questions or concerns about canceling your YouTube TV subscription, reach out to YouTube TV’s customer support or consult their official documentation for assistance.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision about canceling your YouTube TV subscription and minimize any potential inconvenience or loss of service.
How to cancel YouTube TV on a computer?
To cancel YouTube TV on a computer, follow these steps:
- Go to “tv.youtube.com” to open YouTube TV.
- Locate and click on your profile photo in the top right corner.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Settings” and then choose “Membership.”
- Click on “Manage.”
- Finally, select “Cancel” to cancel your YouTube TV subscription.
How to cancel YouTube TV on an Android device?
Here’s how to cancel YouTube TV on an Android device:
- Open the YouTube TV app on your device.
- Tap on your profile photo located in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings” and then choose “Membership.”
- Tap on “Manage” and then select “Cancel membership.”
- To confirm the cancellation, tap on “cancel.”
If you prefer to pause your subscription instead of canceling, you can find that option under “manage” membership in the app.
How to cancel YouTube TV on your iOS device (iPhone and iPad)
You can’t cancel your YouTube TV subscription directly in the YouTube TV iOS app. Instead, Google, the owner of YouTube, suggests canceling the subscription using a web browser on a mobile device or computer.
So, if you are using iPhone or iPad follow these steps:
- Open a web browser on your mobile device and go to “tv.youtube.com.”
- Sign in to your YouTube TV account.
- Click on your profile photo located in the top right corner.
- Tap on “Settings” and then choose “Membership.”
- Select “Pause or cancel membership.”
- Tap on “Cancel membership.”
- Finally, confirm the cancellation by tapping on “Cancel.”
How to Cancel YouTube TV from Other Apps
If you have subscribed to YouTube TV through other apps or platforms such as Apple App Store, Roku, or Amazon Fire TV, you can also cancel your YouTube TV subscription from those apps or platforms by following these steps:
For Apple App Store:
- a. Go to “Settings” on your device.
- b. Tap on your name.
- c. Select “Subscriptions.”
- d. Find and tap on “YouTube TV.”
- e. Choose “Cancel Subscription” to initiate the cancellation process.
- a. Navigate to the Home screen on your Roku device.
- b. Select “Streaming Channels.”
- c. Find and choose “YouTube TV.”
- d. Go to “Options” and select “Manage Subscription.”
- e. Click on “Cancel Subscription” to start the cancellation process.
For Amazon Fire TV:
- a. Access the Home screen on your Amazon Fire TV.
- b. Go to “Your Apps & Channels.”
- c. Locate and select “YouTube TV.”
- d. Choose “Options” and then “Manage Subscription.”
- e. Click on “Cancel Subscription” to initiate the cancellation process.
After following the above steps, you will see a confirmation screen that provides information about what you will lose by canceling your YouTube TV subscription. Additionally, you may have the option to pause your membership for up to six months instead of canceling it entirely. If you are certain about canceling your subscription, confirm the cancellation to proceed.
Can You Pause Your YouTube TV Membership?
You can pause your membership if you want to take a break. It’s similar to canceling, but instead of choosing “Cancel,” you select “Pause” from the membership options. When you choose to pause your subscription, you can set the duration for how long you want to pause it. It can range from four weeks up to six months.
Your membership will be paused at the end of the current payment period. You can find out when your subscription will expire by checking the Membership submenu. While your subscription is on hold, you won’t be able to watch any shows or access your recordings. However, YouTube TV will keep your recordings saved as long as they don’t exceed the usual 9-month expiration time.
Once the pause period ends, YouTube TV will automatically charge you for the next payment period. It’s important to cancel your membership before that if you don’t want to be charged unnecessarily for another month.
Differences Between Pausing and Canceling YouTube TV Membership
Pausing YouTube TV Membership:
- Duration: You can choose a specific duration to pause your membership, ranging from 4 weeks to 6 months.
- Access to Content: While your membership is paused, you will not have access to any programs or recordings.
- Membership Status: Your membership will be temporarily paused at the end of the current payment period.
- Recordings: Your recorded content will be saved as long as it doesn’t exceed the general 9-month expiration time.
- Charges: After the pause period ends, YouTube TV will automatically resume charging you for the next payment period.
- Future Usage: You can resume using YouTube TV and regain access to your content after the pause period.
Canceling YouTube TV Membership:
- Permanence: Canceling your membership means permanently terminating your subscription.
- Access to Content: Once canceled, you will no longer have access to any programs or recordings.
- Membership Termination: Your membership will end immediately upon cancellation.
- Recordings: Your recorded content will no longer be accessible.
- Charges: There will be no further charges or payments after canceling your membership.
- Future Usage: You will no longer be able to use YouTube TV or access any of its features or content.
It’s important to note that the specific details and terms may vary, so it’s advisable to refer to the latest information provided by YouTube TV for precise instructions and policies regarding pausing and canceling memberships.
Pausing vs. Canceling YouTube TV Membership: Which Option Should You Choose?
Deciding between pausing and canceling your YouTube TV membership depends on your specific needs and circumstances.
Pausing your membership is a good option if you only need a temporary break from using YouTube TV. When you pause your membership, you won’t have access to any programs or recordings during that time. However, your recordings will be saved as long as they don’t exceed the 9-month expiration period. Pausing is beneficial if you plan to resume using YouTube TV in the future without losing your recorded content.
On the other hand, canceling your membership means permanently ending your subscription. This is a suitable choice if you no longer want to use YouTube TV and have no intention of returning. Canceling ensures that you won’t be charged for any further payment periods, and it stops any future access to YouTube TV’s content and features.
Consider your current situation and future plans for using YouTube TV to determine whether pausing or canceling is the right choice for you.
Tips for Canceling YouTube TV
Here are some tips for canceling YouTube TV that can help you optimize your experience and results:
- Before you cancel your YouTube TV subscription, make sure that you have watched or downloaded all the recordings that you have saved in your cloud DVR. Your recordings will be deleted after 21 days of canceling your subscription, and you will not be able to access them again.
- If you are not sure whether you want to cancel your YouTube TV subscription permanently, you can choose to pause your membership for up to six months. This way, you can temporarily stop paying for the service and resume it later when you are ready. Your recordings will be saved during the paused period, and you will not lose your previous settings or preferences.
- If you cancel your YouTube TV subscription, you will not be eligible for any promotional prices or offers that you may have received when you signed up. If you decide to rejoin YouTube TV later, you may have to pay a higher price or accept different terms and conditions.
- If you cancel your YouTube TV subscription, you will also lose access to any add-on networks that you have subscribed to, such as HBO Max, Showtime, Starz, etc. You will not be able to add any add-on networks without a base plan subscription. If you want to keep watching those networks, you will have to subscribe to them separately or through another platform.
In this article, we have shown you how to cancel YouTube TV in 2023 using different devices and methods. We have also given you some tips for canceling YouTube TV that can help you optimize your experience and results.
We hope that this article has helped you understand how to cancel YouTube TV and make the best decision for your needs and preferences. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading!
YouTube TV costs $64.99 per month and offers over 85 channels, including local, national, and international networks. Some of the channels that YouTube TV offers are ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CNN, ESPN, TNT, Disney, HGTV, AMC, and more. You can also add premium networks such as HBO Max, Showtime, Starz, etc. for an extra fee.
Go to [YouTube TV] and click on Try it free. > Sign in with your Google account or create a new one. > Enter your zip code and confirm your home area. > Choose a payment method and enter your billing information. > Review the channels and add-ons that are available for your area and select the ones that you want. > Click on Buy. > You will then start your free trial period, which lasts for seven days.
You can watch YouTube TV on different devices by using the YouTube TV app or website. You can download the YouTube TV app from the app store or play store for your device, such as smart TVs, phones, tablets, computers, and streaming devices. You can also watch YouTube TV on the [YouTube TV website] using a web browser on your computer or laptop.
Open the YouTube TV app or website and sign in to your account. > Access the Account tab or profile settings. Look for an icon or menu labeled “Account” or your profile picture/avatar. > Locate the “Settings” option within the Account tab or profile settings. Click on it to proceed. > In the Settings menu, search for and select “Family sharing” or a similar option that allows you to share your membership. > Follow the prompts to invite family or friends to join your YouTube TV family group. You may need to provide their email addresses or send them an invitation link. > Once the invitations are sent, your family or friends will receive an email invitation to join your YouTube TV family group. > In the invitation email, they should click on the provided link or follow the instructions to accept the invitation. > If they already have a YouTube TV account, they will be prompted to confirm their participation in your family group. If they don’t have an account, they may be guided through the account creation process. > After accepting the invitation, they will be added to your YouTube TV family group, and they will have access to the shared membership. > Each family member or friend added to the group will have their own personalized profiles and access to YouTube TV’s features and content.
You can get help or support for your YouTube TV issues or questions by visiting the [YouTube TV Help Center] or the [YouTube TV Community]. You can also contact [YouTube TV Support] or [YouTube TV Chat Support] if you have any specific issues or questions.