Are you thinking of deleting your Instagram account? Maybe you’re overwhelmed by social media or want to switch to another platform. Whatever your reason, we are here to help you delete your account safely and effectively. In this article, we’ll show you the steps to delete your Instagram account, whether you want to do it temporarily or permanently. We will also explain the differences between the two options, so that you can make the right choice. Let’s get started!
Which is Better: Permanently or Temporarily Deleting Instagram?
Deleting an Instagram account permanently and deactivating it are two different things. Here are the main differences:
|Differences||Temporarily Deleting Instagram Account||Permanently Deleting Instagram Account|
|Accessibility||Hidden from public view||Gone forever, can’t be accessed again|
|Data loss||No data loss||All data erased, cannot be recovered|
|Reachability||Account is not visible||Account and associated data are lost|
If you temporarily deactivating your Instagram account, you can still access your private messages while your profile is hidden from others. Reactivating your account by logging in again is easy, and you can pick up where you left off.
On the other hand, permanently deleting your account will result in losing all profile content, including media, mentions, comments, likes, and followers. To retain your data, it’s advisable to download a backup copy before deleting the account.
How to Ensure You Don’t Lose Your Instagram Data Before Deleting Your Account?
Before deleting your Instagram account, it is recommended that you take your data such as photos, text, reels, archived content, and other backups and download them as needed. Instagram offers a data management feature that allows you to download your data. However, once you delete your Instagram account, this feature will no longer work. Follow these steps to download your data.
For the Instagram app:
- Open your profile and tap the three lines on the top right.
- Click on “Your activity” and select “Download your information.”
- Enter your email address and request the download.
For the Instagram website:
- Click on “More” on the bottom left and select “Settings.”
- Choose “Privacy and security” and click on “Request download.”
- Enter your email address and confirm the request.
- After requesting your data, it may take up to 14 days for Instagram to send you the download link via email.
How to Delete Instagram Account Permanently
Follow these steps to delete your Instagram account. The account deletion process differs on an iPhone, Android, or website.
Here is a step-by-step guide to deleting an Instagram account on both iPhone and Android:
- Tap the menu icon located in the top-right corner of your Instagram profile.
- Select “Settings” from the menu options.
- Scroll down and tap “Accounts Center,” followed by “Personal details.”
- Next, select “Account ownership and control” and choose “Deactivation or deletion.”
- From the options provided, select the account that you wish to delete.
- Finally, tap “Delete account” and then confirm your choice by selecting “Continue.”
To delete an Instagram account using a web browser, you cannot do so from the Android or website versions of Instagram. Instead, you need to access the account deletion page on a mobile web browser or computer. Here are the steps to follow:
- Log in to your Instagram account using a web browser.
- Select a reason for deleting your account from the options provided.
- Re-enter your password to confirm that it is indeed you deleting the account.
- Finally, select “Delete Account” to permanently delete your Instagram account.
How to Delete Instagram Account Temporarily
If you wish to take a break from using Instagram, it is not necessary to permanently delete your account. Instead, you can temporarily deactivate and reactivate your profile when you are ready to use it again. To temporarily deactivate your Instagram account, follow the steps provided below.
- Click on the “Profile” option on the screen’s left side.
- Select “Edit Profile” from the options presented.
- Choose “Temporarily deactivate my account” from the available options.
- Select a reason for deactivating your account from the choices provided.
- Re-enter your Instagram account password to confirm that it’s you.
- Finally, click on “Temporarily deactivate account” to confirm and complete the process.
How to Delete an Instagram Account without a Username or Password?
In order to delete your Instagram account, it’s necessary to be logged in to your account. However, if you have forgotten your login credentials, there are a few options available to recover your account:
- Recover your password using your mobile number. Click on “Forgot password” on the login page and enter your phone number. Instagram will send a login link to your inbox, allowing you to reset your account password. Once this is done, head to the Instagram account deletion page and delete your account.
- Recover your password through Facebook. This option may work for you if you have linked your Instagram and Facebook accounts. Click on “Log in with Facebook” below the login tab and select “Continue as Your Name.” You will then be logged into your Instagram account and can proceed to change your password.
- Contact the Instagram Support Center. Send an email to email@example.com and explain the situation. Instagram will then send you a code to recover your account.
After restoring your account, follow the instructions to delete or deactivate your Instagram account.
What Precautions Should You Take When Deleting or Disabling Your Instagram Account?
Here are some tips to keep in mind when deleting or disabling your Instagram account:
- Make sure that you’re logged into the correct account. You don’t want to accidentally delete or disable the wrong account.
- Before deleting your account permanently, consider downloading your data. This includes your photos, videos, and stories. To do this, go to your settings and click on “Privacy and Security.” Then, click on “Data Download” and follow the prompts.
- If you’re disabling your account temporarily, remember that this will only hide your data from other users. Your data will still be stored on Instagram’s servers.
- Remember that this cannot be undone if you’re deleting your account permanently. You will lose all of your data, including your username.
- If you’re planning on creating a new Instagram account, make sure that you use a different email address. Instagram only allows one account per email address.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to safely and effectively delete your Instagram account, whether you choose to do it permanently or temporarily. Consider the differences between these options before deciding, and always download a backup copy of your data before deleting your account. Additionally, be sure to take the necessary precautions and follow the tips we’ve provided to ensure a smooth and successful account deletion process. Stay updated with the latest news and updates about social media by subscribing to our website newsletter. Thank you for reading!
No, Instagram only allows one account per email address. If you want to create a new account, use a different email address.
No, logging in to your Instagram account is necessary to delete it. However, if you have forgotten your login credentials, you can recover your account through your mobile number, Facebook, or by contacting Instagram Support.
Yes, you can reactivate your Instagram account after deleting it temporarily by logging in again with your username and password.
To restore your Instagram account, you can either launch the Instagram app on your mobile device or access Instagram in a web browser and provide your login credentials on the home screen. Once you tap on “Login,” your account will be reactivated. However, if you change your mind immediately after deactivating your account, you may have to wait for up to 24 hours before you can reactivate it. It’s important to note that Instagram may take several hours to complete deactivation requests, and until this process is complete, you won’t be able to reactivate your account.