Reddit is a super popular website where people from all over the world connect and chat. It’s like a big collection of different groups where you can share news, pictures, and talk about all kinds of stuff. But did you know that some people actually want to get rid of their Reddit accounts? If you’re one of those people, keep reading! To delete your Reddit account can be a good idea if you find yourself spending too much time on the site or if you’re worried about your privacy. Reddit has had some issues in the past with keeping user information safe.
They share your info with other companies, which a lot of users don’t like. They’re supposed to follow some rules to protect your data, but not all companies do a great job of following those rules. Here’s a secret: you can actually stop Reddit from sharing your info by changing some settings on your profile. But Reddit doesn’t really talk about this openly, so you might not know about it. If you’re worried about your personal info getting into the wrong hands, you might be thinking about quitting Reddit altogether.
Things to Know Before You Delete Reddit Account
Here are some important things to know before you delete your account:
- Deleting your account won’t erase any of the posts or comments you’ve made.
- If you have a Reddit Premium membership, deleting your account won’t automatically cancel your subscription. So, be sure to cancel your Reddit Premium subscription before deleting your account.
- To confirm that you want to delete your account, you’ll need to enter your Reddit password. If you encounter an error while trying to delete your account, double-check that you entered your password correctly.
- The administrators of Reddit can’t delete your account for you.
How to Delete Reddit Account on Desktop?
- Go to reddit.com and log in to your account. Click on your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Click on “User Settings.”
- Make sure you are on the “Account” tab in User Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT.”
- On the “We’re sorry to see you go” page, you can enter your reason for leaving in the “HELP IMPROVE REDDIT” box. Enter your account’s username and password in the “VERIFY YOUR IDENTITY” section, then check the box next to “I understand that deleted accounts aren’t recoverable.”
- Click on “DEACTIVE.”
- A pop-up will appear with a final warning. Click on “DEACTIVE” to finish deleting your Reddit account.
How to Delete Reddit Account on Mobile?(Android/ iPhone)
Just so you know, you can’t delete your Reddit account directly from the mobile app. They haven’t made it possible yet because of how they set up the account deletion feature. But don’t worry, you can still delete your account using your phone’s web browser.
Open your smartphone’s web browser and go to reddit.com. Look for the menu icon in the top right corner, it looks like three horizontal lines with a short line on top and bottom and a longer line in the middle.
Once you tap on the menu icon, the rest of the process is exactly the same as on the desktop version.
Will Your Posts and Comments Still Be Visible on Reddit Even After You Delete Your Account?
Usually, when you delete your social media account, your content goes away too. But with Reddit, things work a bit differently. Even if you delete your account, all of your posts and comments will still be visible on the platform.
If you want to get rid of all your posts and comments when you delete your account, you have to do it manually. Unless you use Google Chrome. If you don’t use Chrome, you’ll have to go through your Reddit history and delete each comment and post one by one.
In the past, if you used Chrome, there was a handy shortcut: Nuke Reddit History. It was a Chrome extension that would let you delete all your comments and posts on Reddit in one go. But now it is not available. However, we have an alternative for you. Read our article about “How to Clear Reddit History”.
Are You Getting an Error While Deleting Reddit Account? Here Are Some Solutions
If you keep getting errors when you try to delete your Reddit account, there could be a few reasons why. Here are some things you can do before trying to delete again:
- Make sure you entered your username and password correctly. If you’re not sure about your password, reset it before deleting.
- If you’re having trouble deleting on reddit.com, try deleting on old.reddit.com instead.
- If you signed up and created your account using your Google account or Apple ID, try disconnecting that account before deleting.
- Go to your User Settings, then visit your Account Settings.
- Scroll down to the Connected Accounts section.
- Look for the Google account or Apple ID you used to sign up and select Disconnect.
- If you’re deleting from a web browser, try clearing your browser’s cookie cache, disabling browser extensions, or deleting from an incognito window or private mode.
As mentioned above, remember that deleting your account does not remove any content you posted while it was active. You need to delete your content before deleting your account.
If you have more questions that are not answered here, you can visit r/help. There, you can check if someone else had the same question or ask a new one. A Reddit administrator or another user will be able to help you.
In conclusion, deleting your Reddit account can provide a viable solution for those seeking to manage their time on the site or safeguard their privacy. While Reddit does offer options to adjust data sharing settings, some users may opt for the complete deletion of their accounts. If you found this article on Social Media Notes helpful, we would greatly appreciate your support. Kindly consider giving us a 5-star rating and encouraging us to continue preparing more useful articles for your benefit. Thank you for your support!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?