YouTube is a very popular platform where you can find videos on almost any topic you can think of. Whether you want to learn a new recipe or figure out how to use your new Steam Deck, there’s something for everyone. However, you usually need to be connected to the internet to watch YouTube videos.
But is there a way to download YouTube videos to your device? Being able to download and keep YouTube videos on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac can be really handy, especially if you have unreliable Wi-Fi or a slow internet connection.
If you want to save your favorite YouTube videos and watch them offline, here’s exactly how you can download them on your Apple device of choice.
It’s important to mention that we don’t support or encourage downloading copyrighted material without permission. If a video is not officially available for download, it’s best to ask the content creator for permission before downloading it.
Is it Legal to Download YouTube Videos?
This can be a bit tricky. If you download videos to your iPhone using YouTube’s official service (we’ll talk about that below), it’s completely fine and legal. However, YouTube doesn’t allow downloading videos from its servers using third-party methods. In fact, it goes against YouTube’s terms of service for app developers to create YouTube downloaders and make them available on app stores.
That being said, YouTube itself won’t take any action if you download videos using third-party solutions. However, they will take action if you upload those videos, especially if they are copyrighted, back onto the internet. So, to be on the safe side, only download these videos for your personal use and avoid sharing them online.
How to Download YouTube Videos on iPhone?
Method 1: Use YouTube Premium (Legal and Preferred Method)
If you have a YouTube Premium subscription, you can officially download YouTube videos on your iPhone. YouTube Premium costs $13.99 per month for individual accounts, and there’s a family account option for $22.99 per month. However, there are some limitations to consider. It’s important to note that not all videos are available for download with YouTube Premium.
With YouTube Premium, you can download videos on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Here’s how:
- Make sure you’re signed in to your YouTube account that has a Premium subscription.
- Open the YouTube video you want to download.
- If downloading is allowed for the video, you’ll see a “Download” button below it.
- Choose the quality of the video you want to download (up to 1080p).
- The video will start downloading to your device.
Keep in mind that the downloaded video is encrypted and can’t be shared with others, even your friends. It stays saved on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac for your personal use only.
Method 2: Use Screen Recording Option
If the previous methods don’t suit you, there’s a simpler option available, although it may not provide the highest quality. On an iPhone, you can use the Screen Recording feature to capture the entire video. However, keep in mind that you’ll need to play the video from start to finish (or multiple times) to get the recording you want. If you want to know how to do it, read our article about ”How to Record YouTube Videos.”
Method 3: Install the Documents App
- Download Documents for free and launch the app.: Go to the App Store on your iPhone and search for “Documents by Readdle.” It’s a free app that allows you to download YouTube videos.
- Open the Browser in Documents: Once you’ve installed the app, open it and tap the bottom-right icon called “Browser.” It will open a web browser where you’ll find a shortcut to YouTube. If you don’t see it, use the search bar to find YouTube.
- Find the YouTube video: Search for the YouTube video you want to download and start playing it. If you can’t decide, try searching for “Le Flex’s Since You Left Me Lonely.” Tap the Share button below the video, then select “Copy” to copy the video link.
- Paste the link: Tap on the URL bar at the top of the screen and delete the existing text. Type “ytload.com” and press enter. Tap in the box, then tap again to bring up the menu and select “Paste.”
- Start the download: The YouTube video link you copied should appear in the box. Tap “Start.”
- Choose the quality: You’ll see a list of different resolutions. Select the quality you prefer. If you only want the audio, tap “MP3” at the top of the list.
- Download the video: After a short wait, a message will indicate that the file is ready to download. Tap “Download.”
- Name the file: You can keep the default name or choose your own. Shorter names are easier to read later. If you want, disable the “Ask me every time” option so that future downloads start automatically.
- Wait for the download: The video will be downloaded to your iPhone. It’s better to use Wi-Fi for this process to avoid using up your mobile data allowance.
- Watch the video: To watch or listen to your downloaded videos or music, tap the “My Files” icon at the bottom left of the Documents app. You’ll find all your downloaded files there. Simply tap on the one you want to watch.
With the Documents app, you can swipe down to minimize the video and continue listening to the audio even when your iPhone is in standby mode.
Method 4: Using Online Video Downloading Websites
- Launch the YouTube app and find the video you want to download.
- Tap on the video to bring up the options menu, select “Share,” and then choose “Copy Link.”
- Open Safari or any web browser on your iPhone.
- Visit an online YouTube video downloading website like SaveFrom.net or Y2mate.com.
- Paste the copied video URL into the website’s text field.
- Choose the desired video quality and format, if available.
- Tap on the “Download” or “Save” button to initiate the download.
- Save the video to your iPhone’s Photos app when prompted.
Please note that downloading YouTube videos may violate YouTube’s terms of service or copyright laws, so it’s essential to use downloaded videos responsibly and for personal use only.
I hope you now have a clear understanding of how to download YouTube videos on iPhone. Although we mentioned different methods to download YouTube videos on iPhone, the method we highly recommend is using YouTube Premium. If you need further tutorials on YouTube or have any questions, please feel free to email us or leave a comment. Your feedback provides valuable insights for our future articles.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?