Sometimes you may encounter a problem while watching YouTube videos on your smartphone: accidental touches. You may accidentally tap the screen and pause the video, skip to the next video, or change the settings. This can be very annoying, especially if you are watching a long or interesting video. Fortunately, there is a way to avoid this problem: locking your screen. Locking your screen means disabling the touch input on your device, so that you can watch YouTube videos without any interruptions. This can also be useful if you want to let your child watch YouTube videos without worrying about them changing or exiting the app. In this article, we will show you how to lock your screen while watching YouTube videos on iPhone and Android devices. We will also explain the benefits and drawbacks of this feature, and how to unlock your screen when you are done.
Why Would You Need To Lock YouTube Screen While Watching Videos?
Locking your screen while watching YouTube videos can have several benefits, such as:
- You can enjoy your videos without any interruptions or distractions caused by accidental touches or taps.
- You can prevent unwanted changes in video quality, volume, playback speed, or captions by locking the settings icon.
- You can avoid skipping to the next video or exiting the app by locking the navigation buttons.
- You can let your child watch YouTube or YouTubeTV videos without worrying about them accessing other apps or functions on your device.
How to Lock YouTube Screen on iPhone Using Built-in Feature
If you have an iPhone, you can lock your screen while watching YouTube videos by using a built-in feature called Guided Access. Guided Access is an accessibility feature that limits your device to one app and blocks distractions. You can use it to lock your screen and disable all the on-screen controls on YouTube.
To use Guided Access to lock your screen while watching YouTube videos on iPhone, follow these steps:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone and choose Accessibility.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose Guided Access.
- If you haven’t already, enable Guided Access.
- Go to Passcode Settings.
- Press the Set Guided Access Passcode option and enter a passcode of your choice.
- Open the YouTube app and play a video you want to watch.
- Now, triple-press the Side button (or the Home button if your iPhone has one) to activate Guided Access mode.
- Select Options in the bottom left corner and disable Touch.
- Choose Start to lock your screen.
Your iPhone screen will now be locked until you choose to disable Guided Access mode. To do that, simply triple-press the Side or Home button again, enter your passcode, and tap End.
How to Lock YouTube Screen on Android Using a Third-party App
Since Android has no in-built option available for locking and unlocking the touch of the device easily, you can lock your screen while watching YouTube videos by using a third-party app. There are several third party apps you can use. Here we introduce three of them:
1. Touch Lock
Touch Lock is a free app that allows you to lock your screen and prevent accidental touches on any app. You can use it to lock your screen and disable all the on-screen controls on YouTube.
To use Touch Lock to lock your screen while watching YouTube videos on Android, follow these steps:
- Download and install Touch Lock from the Google Play Store.
- Open Touch Lock and select your unlock pattern.
- Tap OK on the Allow ‘Show over other apps’ prompt that appears.
- Enable Allow display over other apps.
- Also, enable the Manual button toggle.
- Close the app and go back to your home screen.
- Select Touch Lock and turn on Permit usage access.
- Launch YouTube and play any video you want to watch.
- Swipe down from the top and tap the Touch Lock option.
- Your screen will now be locked until you choose to unlock it.
To unlock your screen, simply double-tap on the lock icon that appears on your screen and then draw the pattern you have set up.
2. Touch Blocker
To use Touch Blocker to lock your screen while watching YouTube videos on Android, follow the steps below:
- Download and Install “Touch Blocker” from Google PlayStore on your Android device.
- Once the app is open, you need to adjust a few settings for it to work properly.
- Tap on the toggle that says “Enable Notifications.” This will allow you to easily enable or disable the screen lock when watching YouTube.
- Additionally, you can customize other settings, such as the behavior during incoming phone calls.
- To unlock the screen lock, you can either press the lock icon twice or disable it from the Notification panel.
- Launch the YouTube app on your Android device and play the desired video.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the notifications panel.
- Locate the Touch Blocker notification and tap on it.
- The screen lock will now be activated, allowing you to lock the YouTube screen.
- By following these steps, you can successfully set up and activate the screen lock on your Android device while using the YouTube app.
3. Touch Protector
Touch Protector is another third-party tool you can use to lock YouTube screen on Android. To use it, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Play Store and search for an app called “Touch Protector” or click here to download it.
- Tap the “Install” button and open the app.
- If the app asks for permission to send notifications, tap “Allow.”
- Allow the app to display over other apps.
- Watch the first video in the app to understand how it works.
- Go back to the app and close the first video. This will give you the option to disable screen touches in the status bar.
- Open the YouTube app and play a video.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the status bar, then tap “Touch here to lock screen.” This will lock the YouTube screen.
To unlock the screen, press either of the volume buttons. If you want more customization options, you can explore the settings within the app. The app works with any other app on your Android smartphone. If this app doesn’t work for you, you can try other apps like Touch Blocker or Lock My Touch.
In this article, we have shown you how to lock your screen while watching YouTube videos on iPhone and Android devices. We have also explained the benefits of this feature, and how to unlock your screen when you are done. We hope this article has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading.
Yes. You can use the Dolphin web browser on your mobile device to browse YouTube, it’s the only browser that allows you to lock the screen and continue playing the selected video by tapping the Play button on the lock screen. Other web browsers will pause the video when you lock the screen.
NO. Browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge, and others do not have a built-in feature to lock YouTube on PC. Since there are fewer chances of accidental touches or clicks on a PC, locking YouTube is not a priority. If a method is discovered in the future, we will try to share it with you through this article or a new guide.
To unlock your screen after locking it with Guided Access on iPhone, you need to triple-press the Side or Home button again, enter your passcode, and tap End. To unlock your screen after locking it with Touch Lock on Android, you need to double-tap on the lock icon that appears on your screen and then draw the pattern you have set up.
No, you cannot lock your screen while watching YouTube videos with Chromecast. This is because Chromecast requires a constant connection between your device and the TV. If you lock your screen with Guided Access or Touch Lock, you will lose the connection and stop casting.
No, you cannot lock your screen while watching YouTube videos with Picture-in-Picture mode. This is because Picture-in-Picture mode requires a multitasking feature that allows you to watch a video in a small window while using another app. If you lock your screen with Guided Access or Touch Lock, you will exit Picture-in-Picture mode and return to the YouTube app.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?