Pop-up ads can be really annoying. They appear out of nowhere, take up a lot of space (especially those ads that cover the whole screen and you can’t skip them), and even show up when you’re using important tools on your device. But don’t worry, there are ways to reduce the number of pop-ups you see and make them less targeted to you. In this guide, we’ll talk about ads and how they end up on your screen. We’ll also give you instructions on how to stop pop up ads on Android phone. And we’ll answer some common questions about this topic. So, get ready to remove those annoying pop-up ads on Android!
Why Do I Keep Getting Pop-Up Ads on My Android
If you keep getting annoying pop-up ads on your Android phone, it’s likely because you recently installed a third-party app that contains suspicious software. These shady apps can cause various problems, such as slowing down your phone, introducing malware and viruses, requesting unnecessary permissions, and more.
- One common culprit is adware. It sneaks into your device when you visit unsecured websites or download apps from untrustworthy sources. Adware can be extremely intrusive, turning your phone into a billboard and collecting your browsing data without your permission.
- Another issue to watch out for is spyware/scams. Spyware secretly collects your sensitive data and online activities to manipulate them. You might have encountered fake virus warnings or jackpot notifications, which are scams designed to trick you into providing personal and financial information or downloading fake antivirus software.
- Malware is another threat that can infect your device through unsecured websites, bundled with other apps, or unsafe downloads. There are different types of malware, and all of them can cause harm, from taking over your browser to hijacking your operating system. One well-known type is ransomware, which encrypts your files or locks your device and demands a ransom payment in exchange for restoring access.
- Viruses encompass all these subtypes mentioned above. Hackers may even create specific Android viruses to steal from you.
To deal with this problem, it’s recommended to install a reputable antivirus or anti-malware app from the Google Play Store. These apps can scan your device for malicious apps or adware that are causing the pop-up ads. They can help identify and remove these ads and protect your device from potential threats and intrusions.
What Are the Signs of Scam Pop-ups on an Android Device?
Here are some signs that can help you recognize scam pop-ups on your Android device. These signs are often quite obvious, so you should be able to spot an attempt to deceive you. Here are a few things to watch out for:
- Sudden offers of luck: If you see messages like “Congratulations, you’ve won $1,000,000” or “You’re the 9,000th visitor, claim your prize!”, be cautious.
- Fake antivirus alerts: Pop-ups that claim your device is infected with a virus and prompt you to download a specific antivirus app could be a scam.
- Messages from fake government organizations: Be cautious of pop-ups that appear when visiting adult sites or other websites, claiming to be from government organizations. These are likely scams.
- Fullscreen ads with fake “Close” buttons: If you see ads that cover your entire screen and have “Close” buttons that don’t work or lead you to suspicious websites or harmful downloads, be careful.
- Ads with spelling or grammar mistakes and strange links: Pay attention to ads that have obvious errors in spelling or grammar, as well as links that look strange or suspicious.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s a good idea to install and run an antivirus app on your device to protect against potential scams and malware.
How to Stop Pop Up Ads on Android Phone?
1. Stop Pop Up Ads on Chrome
While using Android browsers, you may come across a lot of pop-up ads, especially if you’re using Google Chrome, which is the most popular browser on Android. But don’t worry, there are ways to deal with this problem and reduce the number of pop-ups or even block them completely. Let’s start by adjusting the built-in pop-up blocker in Google Chrome:
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Tap on the “More” button at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Choose “Settings” from the menu.
- Scroll down until you find “Site settings.”
- Look for the “Pop-ups” option and tap on it.
- Turn off the toggle switch to disable pop-ups.
2. Stop Pop-up Ads on Firefox
If you’re using Mozilla Firefox on your Android device and want to stop pop-up ads, there isn’t a specific “pop-up blocker” option available. However, there are other ways to block ads. One option is to enable a setting that prevents websites from opening new windows without your permission. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the Firefox browser on your Android device.
- Tap the three-dot menu icon in the top-right corner of the browser window.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Within the Settings menu, tap “Privacy & Security.”
- Look for “Enhanced Tracking Protection” and tap on it.
- You’ll see options like “Standard,” “Strict,” or “Custom.”
- Tap on “Strict” or “Custom” for more aggressive tracking protection, which can help block certain pop-ups.
This won’t stop all pop-ups, but it should prevent some unwanted ads from popping up without your permission while browsing.
Another option is to install a content-blocking add-on for your Firefox browser. Here’s how:
- Go to the browser settings.
- Tap on the “Add-ons” item.
- Choose a content blocker from the list or search for one using the search bar.
- Tap the “Add to Firefox” button.
- Grant any permissions it asks for, and you’re done.
If you’re using the Firefox Beta for Testers application, there’s another workaround. Follow these steps to disable pop-ups:
- Open the app.
- Type “about:config” into the address bar and press “Enter” or “Submit.”
- Type “dom.disable_open_during_load” into the new search bar.
- Switch the toggle to “false.”
3. Stop Pop-up Ads on Opera
If you’re using the Opera browser and want to stop pop-up ads, make sure that the built-in pop-up blocker is enabled. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the “Opera with AI” browser.
- Tap the profile logo at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Settings” icon (it looks like a gear).
- Scroll down and select the “Privacy and security” option.
- Check if the toggle for “Block Pop-up Windows” is switched on.
You can also enable tracker protection and the built-in ad blocker in the browser settings. However, it’s important to note that these features won’t block every ad because Opera itself displays ads on the “download” screen. So, you may still encounter automatic ads on your Android device.
Nevertheless, these default browser options will help reduce the number of commercials you see, and the best part is that they’re available for free.
4. Stop Pop-Up Ads on Android Home Screen
To stop pop-up ads on your Android home screen, follow these simple steps:
- Open the “Settings” on your Android device and select the “Apps” option.
- Tap on the “Permissions” section.
- Look for the “Other permissions” category (you’ll find a list of installed apps and the number of permissions for each).
- Find the app that shows annoying pop-up ads.
- Disable the option that says “Display pop-up windows while running in the background” by tapping on it.
By making this adjustment, you will be able to prevent pop-up ads from appearing on your Android home screen. However, please note that this method only stops the ads on the home screen and not elsewhere. This method is useful if you have apps that misuse their permissions and constantly bother you with repetitive and boring pop-ups directly on the home screen.
5. Stop Pop-Up Ads on a Samsung Device via the In-built Tool
To stop pop-up ads on your Samsung device, you can use the built-in tool. Just follow these steps:
- Open the Samsung Internet browser on your device.
- Tap the Menu icon (it looks like three horizontal lines) at the bottom right corner of the browser.
- Go to “Settings” and scroll down until you find “Privacy dashboard.”
- Turn on the “Block Pop-ups” option.
Alternatively, if you want a more comprehensive solution, we recommend installing a trusted ad-blocking app like AdLock. This app will help you block ads and forget that they ever existed.
6. Disable Pop-ups via Website Settings
You can easily disable pop-ups and notifications on specific websites by adjusting the settings and permissions. This can help you block annoying elements like pop-up ads, camera/microphone access, and more.
Sometimes, scam or adware pop-ups may look like genuine promotions from well-known sites like Amazon or Facebook. For example, if you see a random pop-up claiming that you won a $20 Amazon gift card, it’s definitely a scam. Amazon doesn’t use pop-ups for promotions.
There are other types of disguised malware as well, such as YouTube survey pop-ups and false Google security alerts. These can redirect you to malicious websites or download browser hijackers that can collect your data or even lock your device to demand a ransom.
To prevent ads and adjust permissions for a specific site on your Android device, follow these steps:
- Open the Chrome app on your device.
- Visit the website you want to adjust settings for.
- Tap the “More” icon (usually three dots) located to the right of the address bar.
- Select “Info” from the menu that appears.
- Tap on “Site settings.”
- Adjust the settings by tapping on the different permissions options.
By following these steps, you can customize the settings for individual websites and prevent unwanted pop-ups and notifications on your Android device.
How to Avoid Pop-Up Ads on Android?
Here are some easy tips to help you avoid pop-up ads on your Android device:
- Install a malware protection app: It’s a good idea to have an app that can protect your device from malware and other threats.
- Be cautious with email attachments and links: Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders, and avoid clicking on suspicious links. They could lead to unwanted pop-up ads or other harmful content.
- Avoid jailbreaking or rooting your Android: Jailbreaking or rooting your device can make it more vulnerable to security risks. It’s best to stick to the official software and avoid making unauthorized changes.
By following these tips, you can keep your Android device safe and reduce the chances of encountering annoying pop-up ads.
I hope this guide has helped you understand how to stop pop up ads on Android phone. If you have any more questions about Android or iPhone devices, feel free to reach out to us by sending an email or leaving a comment. If you found this content helpful, please consider giving us a 5-star rating. Additionally, if you think this information would be useful to your friends, kindly share this article with them. Your support is appreciated!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?