The Nintendo Switch may not be the top choice for serious gamers, but it’s still a fantastic console. Playing your favorite games on the Nintendo Switch, like Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and other Nintendo exclusives, is always enjoyable. But what if you want to share your Nintendo Switch screen with others online, particularly on Discord? It’s no surprise that the Nintendo Switch isn’t as technologically advanced as its competitors like Xbox and PlayStation. What can you do in this situation? Keep reading to find out more abou how to stream Switch on Discordt:
3 Essential Items for Streaming Nintendo Switch on Discord
Unfortunately, there isn’t a special Discord app available on the Nintendo Switch, which makes streaming live gameplay a bit challenging.
However, don’t worry! There’s always a solution. If you want to learn how to stream Nintendo Switch on Discord, you’ll need a few things to get started.
1. A Video Capture Card
You’ll need a video capture card that has the right USB C ports and necessary settings, similar to HDMI capture cards.
Some people also use an additional audio card for better audio input. To find the right video capture card for streaming, visit an electronics store and ask for one that supports online streaming. The store staff will guide you.
2. Video Capture Card Software or VLC Media Player
You’ll need software to work with your video capture card for streaming. Popular programs like OBS Studio work well for this purpose.
Depending on the video capture card you choose, it might come with its own software. However, the process will be similar regardless of the software you use. You can also consider using VLC Media Player, a well-known player, to stream your Nintendo Switch on Discord.
3. Download and Prepare the Discord App
Discord is more than just a simple chat app. You can use the Discord mobile or web versions, but it’s recommended to use the desktop version for better efficiency.
Once you have Discord installed, you can create private rooms to go live on Discord or join existing ones. Keep in mind that voice channels will display the Nintendo Switch screen, but text channels won’t.
With these three essential items in place, you’ll be ready to stream your Nintendo Switch gameplay on Discord and share your gaming experiences with others.
How To Stream Switch On Discord?
Step 1: Connect Nintendo Switch to Capture Device
First, you need to connect your Nintendo Switch to the capture device before you turn it on. Follow these three steps:
- Connect your Switch to the Dock. Make sure it’s securely connected to the Dock. You can refer to the Nintendo user manual for more information about the Dock.
- Connect the HDMI cable from the capture card to the Dock.
- Finally, connect the USB cable from the capture card to your computer. This will establish all the necessary hardware connections and get everything ready to go.
Step 2: Choose the Software You Will Use and Set it Up
Next, you need to decide which software you want to use for capturing and streaming. You have two options:
- A dedicated capture software
- Or VLC Media Player
The choice is up to you and depends on your preference. If you choose OBS Studio, the process of sharing files will be a bit different. On the other hand, VLC is a straightforward solution for streaming in these cases, so you can also consider using VLC as your player.
Step 3: Turn on the Console with Nintendo Switch Connected
When your console is connected to your PC, press the power button at the top left corner of the Switch console to turn it on. This will start up the Nintendo Switch, and then you can continue with the settings.
Step 4: Finish VLC Media Player Set Up and Set Capture Mode
Now, with your console already connected to your PC, you can turn it on.
- Simply press the power button located at the top left corner of the Nintendo Switch console. This will power on the Nintendo Switch, and then you can continue with the settings.
- Before you click on the VLC icon, there are a few things you need to do to finish setting up VLC Media Player and adjust the capture mode.
- First, open a regular Notepad file and copy and paste the following code:
“ C: Program Files VideoLANVLCvlc.exe” dshow:// :dshow-vdev=”Game Capture HD60 S (Video) (#01)” :dshow-adev=”Game Capture HD60 S (Audio) (#01)” :dshow-aspect-ratio=”16:9” :dshow-audio-samplerate=48000 :dshow-audio-channels=2 :live-caching=0 :dshow-fps=60 “
- This code is crucial because it helps the new display window recognize the screen of your Nintendo console.
- Save the Notepad document, and then follow these instructions:
- Double-click on the VLC Media Player icon.
- Select “Media” and then choose “Open Capture Device.”
- Set all the options to “Default” and close VLC Media Player.
- By completing these steps, you will finish setting up VLC Media Player and configuring the capture mode.
Step 5: Make Sure the Live Stream is Working
Once you close VLC, you’ll see the VLC screen (shown as a sharing arrow) displaying what’s happening on your Nintendo Switch.
If you want to adjust the volume or other audio settings, you can use the speaker icon.
If the video capture card doesn’t work, check if you’ve selected the correct settings.
If needed, go back to the capture card settings and switch the mode to “DirectShow” to avoid any issues.
Step 6: Go to a Discord Server
- To start streaming your Nintendo Switch on Discord, open the Discord application and navigate to a server you want to join. Look for a Voice channel where you want to share your Switch gameplay.
- Simply check your list of channels and click on the Voice channel you wish to stream on.
Step 7: Start Streaming on Discord
- Next to the “Video” icon, there is a button labeled “Screen.” Click on it, and you will see several options. Instead of using your webcam, select “Capture Card” as the video source.
- Before you proceed, there will be a thumbnail preview to ensure you’ve made the right choice. Take a moment to confirm your selection.
- Complete the setup for screen sharing, double-click on VLC, and click on “Go Live.”
- Now, everyone in that Discord channel will be able to see what you’re playing on your Nintendo Switch.
- That’s how you stream your Nintendo Switch on Discord! It’s a great way to share your gaming moments and gameplay with friends.
If you need more information about streaming, Launch Kit is an excellent website that provides insights and resources for this purpose. Also read How to Report a Discord Server.
I hope this detailed guide has been helpful in explaining how to stream Switch on Discord. If you have any more questions or need tutorials for Discord or other apps, please let us know by leaving a comment. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve our future articles. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our daily newsletter to stay informed about the latest news and updates regarding social media platforms, apps, and devices.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?