Do you want to open Facebook links in your preferred browser rather than the app? Here’s how to go about it. By default, the app opens links in Facebook’s in-app browser. That is because it is simple and does not require any additional configuration steps. However, not everyone is interested in using Facebook’s mobile browser. You’ve come to the right place if you want to open Facebook links in your preferred browser. Here’s how to disable the Facebook mobile browser step by step.
The benefits and drawbacks of the in-app browser
As much as you may dislike using Facebook’s in-app browser, it does have advantages. The browser’s convenience is one of its main advantages. You don’t have to wait for it to load like you would with a third-party browser like Google Chrome or Firefox.
You’re ready to go once you click on the link. It does not need to switch screens, and you will have access to your content as soon as you click the link. While other browsers may be faster in practice, using the built-in browser saves you time by not switching between apps.
The downside to all of this convenience is the limited sharing options provided by the Facebook mobile browser. You can’t just share an interesting article with your Twitter followers or any other platform. The only way is to copy the link, exit the app, open the platform where you want to share the link, and paste it.
You can’t use Facebook’s in-app browser if you want to open multiple links in different tabs for later consumption. Because once you tap the x button to return to your feed, there is no way to return to the webpage unless you find the link you want to view and open it again. That’s not as convenient as using a third-party browser, which will open your preferred platform in an instant with the link already on the input window.
How to deactivate Facebook’s in-app browser
Disabling Facebook’s browser is straightforward, but it has limitations. The main disadvantage is that the latest version of the app on iOS does not include the necessary setting. Unfortunately, old versions of apps cannot be downloaded from Apple’s App Store. If you’re using iOS, you’ll have to use Facebook’s in-app browser.
If you’re using Android, however, download the most recent Facebook app from the Google Play Store and then follow these steps to disable the in-app browser:
- Tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down to Settings & Privacy.
- Scroll down to the Media and contacts section after tapping Settings.
- Select Media and contacts.
- Toggle the External Links option to the On position.
With that set, when you tap on any link to an external website, Facebook will now prompt you to choose a browser. However, if you have a default browser set, links will open in it.
To open Facebook links, use your preferred browser
Facebook’s in-app browser is convenient, but it is not without flaws. The good news is that you can use your preferred third-party browser to read articles you’ve discovered on Facebook. The only caveat is that the latest version of the iOS app does not have such an option, but don’t let that deter you. You can still access Facebook through your preferred mobile browser, which will force all external links to open in that browser. Now that you know how to disable Facebook’s in-App browser, we’ve compiled a list of the best browser alternatives.
Instagram is all about photos, so you won’t see as many links as you would on other platforms such as Facebook. The app launches a browser when you tap links in DM, bio, or anywhere else. Unfortunately, there is no built-in way to turn it off. You can, however, try the solutions listed below. When you click on an Instagram-related link, the app automatically opens. If you want to open it in your browser, do the following:
- On your phone, go to Settings.
- Navigate to Apps & Notifications > View all apps.
- Choose Instagram and then click Open by Default.
- Touch Open compatible links and change the setting to Do not allow.
- Launch Instagram links in your default browser.
When you click on a link on Instagram, it opens a browser within the app. Follow the steps below to open them in your default browsers, such as Chrome or Edge.
- Within Instagram, tap on the link.
- When it appears, select the three-point menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on an option such as Open in Chrome or Open in Edge.
- See How to Merge Cells in Google Sheets for more information.
Twitter is a microblogging platform where link exchanges have their own meaning. To disable the Android Twitter app’s navigation feature, follow the steps below.
- Swipe in from the left edge of Twitter to reveal the navigation bar.
- Choose Settings and Privacy.
- Select Screen and Sound.
- Uncheck the “Use in-app browser” checkbox beneath the heading Web browser.
Are there any Redditors present? To begin, Reddit is a well-known network of communities based on people’s interests. And if you’re stuck between the two, I don’t think you need a guide to turn off in-app navigation. However, if you are unsure, proceed with the steps below.
- Start Reddit on your phone.
- To open the sidebar menu, tap on your profile picture in the upper left corner.
- Then, in the background, click Settings.
- Now, uncheck the “Open web links in the application” box, and you’re done.
- Learn How to Use Amazon Prime Video’s Watch Party.
We hope you found our article on how to disable the in-app browser in Android apps useful. Although in-app browsers are convenient, standalone browsers provide a more enjoyable and secure browsing experience. In-app browsers lack features such as private browsing, completely anonymous web browsing, and much more. So, if you enjoyed our article, please share it with others.