YouTube Shorts is a feature that allows you to create and share short-form vertical videos on YouTube. YouTube Shorts are designed to be watched on mobile devices and can be up to 60 seconds long. You can use YouTube’s Shorts creation tools to add music, text, filters, stickers, and more to your videos. You can also upload your own videos that you have created elsewhere, as long as they meet the requirements for Shorts.
YouTube Shorts can help you reach new audiences, express your creativity, and grow your channel. You can also discover and watch Shorts from other creators on the YouTube app or website. In this article, we will show you how to upload YouTube Shorts in 2023 using different devices and methods.
What Are YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts are short-form vertical videos that can be up to 60 seconds in length. They are designed to be quick, engaging, and easily shareable. Similar to popular short-video platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts allows users to create and discover bite-sized content.
Here are some key features of YouTube Shorts:
- Video Creation: Users can create Shorts directly within the YouTube app using the Shorts camera. It provides tools for recording, adding filters, adjusting speed, and incorporating music from a vast library of licensed songs.
- Vertical Format: Shorts are displayed in a vertical orientation, optimized for viewing on mobile devices. This format is ideal for capturing attention and delivering content in a concise manner.
- Discoverability: YouTube Shorts have a dedicated section on the YouTube app and website, making it easy for users to discover and explore short-form videos. The Shorts feed showcases a continuous stream of engaging content from various creators.
- Sound and Music: Creators can add music to their Shorts from the vast collection of songs available in the YouTube library. Users can also remix existing Shorts by using the original audio.
- Engagement: Users can like, comment, share, and subscribe to creators’ channels directly from Shorts. The engagement features allow viewers to interact with the content and creators, fostering a sense of community.
- Creation Tools: YouTube Shorts provides a range of creative tools, such as text overlays, stickers, and timer options, to enhance the visual appeal of the videos.
- Integration with YouTube: Shorts are seamlessly integrated into the broader YouTube ecosystem. Creators can cross-promote their Shorts on their YouTube channels, and viewers can easily transition from watching Shorts to exploring full-length videos on YouTube.
YouTube Shorts offer an engaging platform for creators to express their creativity, entertain audiences, and reach new viewers through short-form video content.
What Are YouTube Shorts Requirements?
Before you start using YouTube Shorts, there are important rules and limitations to keep in mind.
- Subscriber Requirement: You need to have at least 1,000 subscribers before you can create YouTube Shorts.
- Length and Format: YouTube Shorts can be up to 60 seconds long. You can either combine multiple 15-second videos or create one continuous video. The videos must be in a vertical orientation with an aspect ratio of 9:16 and a resolution of 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels.
- Audio Usage: You can use audio from YouTube’s library or other videos for up to 60 seconds in your Shorts.
- Revenue-Sharing Program: If you have 1,000 subscribers and achieve 10 million Shorts views within a 90-day period, you will soon be eligible to apply for YouTube’s revenue-sharing program. This program is expected to launch in early 2023.
These requirements ensure that you meet the criteria set by YouTube for creating and monetizing your Shorts content.
How to Upload YouTube Shorts on Mobile (Android and iPhone)
Please include step by step screenshot
If you are using a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet, you can upload YouTube Shorts on the YouTube app by following these steps:
- Open the YouTube app on your mobile device and ensure that you’re logged in. Then, locate and tap the ‘+’ icon in the center of the toolbar at the bottom of your phone.
- A menu will appear, and you should select ‘Create a short’.
- You’ll be taken to a camera preview interface. Here, you have two options: you can either create a Short directly within the app or tap the square preview button in the bottom left to upload a pre-made clip.
- If you’re creating a short, tap the circle in the top right corner to choose the length limit for your video, which can be either 15 or 60 seconds. You can add sound to your recording by using the top middle button (only available for 15-second clips), and you can also access various effects, speed adjustments, and timer settings using the toolbar on the right side of the screen.
- If you’re uploading a clip, tap ‘Done’ once you’ve finished editing to return to the video capture screen.
- On the video capture screen, tap the checkmark button in the bottom right corner when you’re done recording and uploading footage. YouTube recommends that Shorts are less than 15 seconds long, but you can use up to a minute of footage.
- You’ll now be taken to a video playback screen where you can add sound, text, filters, and rearrange your clips. When you’re finished, tap ‘Next’.
- Fill out the details for your Short. Provide an attention-grabbing caption for your video, and if desired, adjust the visibility settings to control who can see your video. You can also schedule the release of your Short from the visibility page.
- Tap on ‘Select audience’ to inform YouTube if your content is intended for kids or if it requires age restrictions.
- Lastly, if you want to change how you review comments from your audience, tap on ‘Comments’.
- Once you have completed all the necessary steps, simply tap ‘Upload Short’ on the details page, and you can watch the views start coming in!
How to Upload YouTube Shorts on Desktop
Please include step by step screenshot
If you are using a desktop computer or laptop, you can upload YouTube Shorts on the YouTube website by following these steps:
- Start by opening your browser and going to the YouTube website. Make sure you’re logged into your account.
- After logging in, you’ll find a camera icon with a ‘+’ symbol in the top right-hand corner of the YouTube site. Click on it.
- You’ll be taken to your channel’s content manager. From there, click on “upload video.”
- The YouTube Studio will open, and you can now either drag and drop your video file or select it from your computer to upload. Remember that for Shorts, your video should be no longer than 60 seconds and have a square or vertical aspect ratio.
- In the headline, include the hashtag #shorts to let YouTube know that it’s a Short video.
- Provide a title and description for your video. Since Shorts are focused on quick information and entertainment, treat it like an elevator pitch. Scroll down to see more details.
- Choose a thumbnail for your video. You can use a still from the video or upload your own eye-catching and exciting image. If desired, you can also add the video to a playlist. Scroll down for more details.
- It’s important to indicate whether your video is aimed at children due to YouTube’s focus on child protection. Be truthful, as it’s a legal requirement. Scroll down for more details.
- (Optional) Click the ‘More options’ button to provide additional information for YouTube’s tagging of your Short. This includes paid promotion declarations, tags, language, subtitles, closed captions, and more. Click ‘Next’ when you’re done.
- (Optional) If you’re uploading a larger video, you have the option to add video elements such as end screens or cards throughout. However, this step doesn’t seem to have a significant effect on Shorts. Click ‘Next’ when you’re done.
- YouTube will perform copyright checks in the background during the upload process. The results will be shared on the next screen. You don’t need to take any action unless you want to raise an issue with YouTube’s determination. Click ‘Next’ to proceed.
- Choose the visibility level for your Short (public, unlisted, or private) and, if applicable, schedule its release.
- Finally, you’re ready to publish your Short. Click either ‘Save’ or ‘Schedule’ to complete the process.
How to Upload YouTube Shorts from Other Apps
If you have created short videos using other apps such as TikTok, Instagram Reels, Snapchat, etc., you can also upload them to YouTube as Shorts by following these steps:
1. Save or export your short video from the app that you have used to create it. Make sure that the video is in vertical format, 1080×1920 pixels, and less than 60 seconds long.
2. Transfer or upload your short video file to your device or computer that has access to YouTube.
3. Follow the steps above for uploading YouTube Shorts on mobile or desktop using your short video file.
Make sure that any copyright-protected material that you have used in your short video is approved for your use on YouTube. Using copyright-protected material could lead to you getting a Content ID claim or a copyright strike.
How to Get More Views, Watch Time, Retention, Engagement, etc. for Your YouTube Shorts?
Here are some tips for uploading YouTube Shorts that can help you optimize your performance and results:
- Use catchy titles and descriptions that capture the attention of viewers and describe what your video is about.
- Use relevant hashtags and keywords that help YouTube categorize and recommend your video to potential viewers.
- Use high-quality thumbnails that showcase the best part of your video and entice viewers to click and watch.
- Engage with your viewers by responding to comments, asking questions, or creating polls.
- Analyze your video performance using YouTube Analytics and see how your Shorts are doing in terms of views, watch time, retention, engagement, etc.
- Experiment with different types of content, styles, formats, and topics to see what works best for your audience and niche.
- Collaborate with other creators and cross-promote your Shorts on other platforms and channels.
How to Monetize YouTube Shorts?
Once you’ve figured out how to upload your YouTube shorts, the next question is how to earn money from them. Short clips like Shorts, Instagram Reels, and TikToks are not as easy to make money from compared to longer YouTube videos.
However, there are a few ways you can explore to monetize your shorts:
First Option: YouTube Advertising Revenue
- Join the YouTube Partner Program and enable monetization in YouTube Studio.
- Earn passive income over time from ads displayed on your YouTube shorts.
- Note that the earnings from ads on shorts are currently small, and ads only appear on desktop views.
Second Option: Brand Deals
- Collaborate with brands for sponsorships and partnerships.
- As short-form content gains popularity in advertising, brand deals can provide a reliable source of income.
- Once you have an audience, you can attract brands for sponsorship opportunities.
Third Option: YouTube Shorts Fund
- Participate in the YouTube Shorts Fund, which has a budget of $100 million.
- Eligible creators can receive a monthly bonus ranging from $100 to $10,000 based on their Shorts’ performance.
- To qualify, you must follow YouTube’s rules and community guidelines, upload original shorts, meet age requirements, and reside in an eligible country.
These options offer different avenues for monetizing YouTube shorts, and creators can choose the approach that suits them best based on their goals and circumstances.
What is the Best Time to Post a YouTube Short?
The best time to post a YouTube Short can vary based on your audience and their habits. To find the best time, you need to analyze when your audience is most active and upload your videos during those time frames. It may take some time, but you should experiment by uploading videos at different times to see what works best.
It’s generally recommended to upload your YouTube Short videos during peak hours when you can get a lot of views shortly after posting.
In this article, we have provided you with a comprehensive guide on how to upload YouTube Shorts in 2023 using various devices and methods. We hope that the information shared here has been valuable in helping you kickstart your Shorts journey.
To stay updated with the latest news and updates about social media, we encourage you to subscribe to our website newsletter. By subscribing, you’ll receive regular updates directly to your inbox, keeping you informed about the ever-evolving world of social media. Don’t miss out on the latest trends and insights – subscribe today!
YouTube Shorts can be up to 60 seconds long and need to have a vertical format of 1080×1920 pixels.
You can edit your YouTube Shorts after uploading them by going to YouTube Studio and selecting the video that you want to edit. Then you can make changes to the title, description, thumbnail, visibility, etc. You can also trim, crop, rotate, adjust, filter, add text, or change music for your video.
You can delete your YouTube Shorts after uploading them by going to YouTube Studio and selecting the video that you want to delete. Then you can click on the three-dot menu icon and select Delete forever. You will then need to confirm your decision and enter your password if required.
You can get help or support for your YouTube Shorts by visiting the [YouTube Help Center] or the [YouTube Community]. You can also contact [YouTube Support] or [YouTube Creator Support] if you have any specific issues or questions.
It depends on your content and what your audience prefers. There’s no specific number that guarantees faster growth on the platform. You should decide the frequency of uploading based on your schedule and by asking your audience for their input. However, when you’re starting out, try to post at least 2-3 videos per week to stay consistent and engage your viewers.