Have you ever noticed ‘Active now’ next to someone’s Instagram account and wondered what it meant? However, some people may be confused by what this feature means. For example, you could see the status ‘Active today’ or ‘Active 5m ago.’ What is the distinction between these? In this blog, we will go through these statuses in-depth and clear up any confusion you may have.
What does Instagram’s “Active now” status actually mean?
Instagram Direct, like Facebook Messenger, solely shows the activity status. Posts and articles do not indicate whether or not the person is currently available. Instagram displays a green dot under the user’s profile photo to indicate that the person is currently online on Instagram. This information, however, is only available if the individual has followed you back or sent you a DM. Surprisingly, even if you are idle for a few minutes, the app will still display you as active. For the status to change, you must exit the app for 5 minutes.
How accurate is “Active Now”?
You may see that a friend has shared a post, but the status is inactive. The activity feature is prone to glitches and delays, which can lead to misunderstanding about such a basic feature. As a result, the ‘Active Now’ feature provides inaccurate information.
What do the other activity statuses indicate?
Other Instagram users’ activity statuses are shown below:
- Active X minutes/hour ago: It just indicates that the user was engaged on the app at some point in the past. This activity level indicates whether you have been idle on the app for 5 to 8 hours.
- Active today: This status shows that the user was active throughout the day. If you remain inactive for eight to twenty-four hours on Instagram, the status ‘Active today’ will display. You were active earlier that day, according to the status.
- Active yesterday: If you are inactive for the entire day, your status will reflect this. It just implies that you haven’t used Instagram in the last 24-48 hours.
What Is the difference between Instagram’s “Active Today” and “Active Now”?
You could suppose that these two statuses are the same. They are, in fact, pretty different. Instagram users who have been online over the last five minutes will see the ‘Active now’ status. In contrast, if a user is inactive for a lengthy period of time, spanning from 8 to 24 hours, the status of their Instagram account switches to ‘Active today.’
Why am I not seeing the green dot?
You will not be able to see someone’s Instagram activity status if they decide to hide it. They can do this thanks to Instagram’s privacy settings. Users can prevent their Instagram followers from seeing their app activity.
How do you disable Instagram’s “Active Now” feature?
Instagram’s activity status can be disabled for privacy or other reasons. But there’s a catch: you won’t be able to observe the activity statuses of other users. You can quickly disable Instagram’s ‘Active now’ feature by following the five steps below:
- Log in to your Instagram account and open it.
- In the lower right corner, tap the profile symbol.
- In the top right corner, tap the burger menu symbol.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Choose “Privacy.”
- Select “Activity status.”
- Turn off the “Show Activity Status” option.
Why does Instagram show that I am active?
It might be because you opened the app by accident. Perhaps it was in your recent apps or for some other reason, or perhaps you forgot it was open on another device, such as your PC. If you don’t want it to happen, make sure you close the app/website completely after using it. You can also log out. Because most devices remember your credentials, you can sign in fast the following time. By signing out of the device or closing the app, you will no longer be represented as active on Instagram.
Instagram’s activity status feature allows users to interact with their friends and followers. However, some people want to disable it in order to safeguard their privacy. You can quickly and effectively disable Instagram’s activity status by following the methods outlined above.